Since Mai 2011 non-EU nationals intending to do research at Heidelberg University can apply for  a "scientific visa" and residence permit for the purpose of research (§20 AufenthG or EU researcher regulations). More...

Information for download

Working in Heidelberg

Special regulations for highly qualified applicants
Working at Heidelberg University
Administrative Offieces in Heidelberg

Work Permit

  • Citizens of countries in the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEC), and of Switzerland

    Citizens of the member countries of the EU, of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland have complete freedom of employment and therefore need no work permit.
  • Citizens of the new member countries of the EU (except for Malta and Cyprus)

    Since 1st May 2011 citizens of the countries Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Hungary and since 31 th of December 2013 the citizens of Bulgaria and Romania enjoy full freedom of movement for workers. Therefore, they do not need an EU work permit anymore.
  • Citizens of all other countries (third countries)

Those who are not citizens of an EU or EEC country or of Switzerland and who would like to work in Germany need a residence permit that includes permission to work. Before coming to Germany, you must apply for the appropriate (work) visa at a German consulate or embassy in your home country or country of residence. At the time of application you must submit documentation demonstrating that an employer in Germany has offered you a work position.
Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand and the USA can obtain the appropriate residence permit after arriving in Germany from the Aliens’ Office. Please note that you can not begin to work until after having received the necessary residence permit. Please make sure to arrange for an appointment at the Aliens’ Office ahead of time.


Special Regulations for Highly-Qualified Applicants

Highly-qualified applicants are scholars, teachers and researchers with specialized expertise in their fields  like professors or academic group leaders. Highly-qualified applicants are permitted to immigrate if they have an employment position in Germany. They can immediately obtain an unlimited residence permit, which automatically allows them to take up employment. Candidates simply need to submit an application to the Aliens’ Office. Spouses generally receive the same residence permit.

Working at Heidelberg University

If you would like to work as a research assistant (wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter) at Heidelberg University, it is a good idea to get into touch personally with the institute or facility where you would like to work. You can find a list of all open employment positions at the University of Heidelberg here.

The University human resource department is responsible for employment contracts and other personnel issues. This department can help you with any questions you may have during your stay regarding your employment at the University.Once you are employed by the University of Heidelberg you will have to pay taxes and social security contributions. More detailed information on taxes in Germany is available here or on the website of EURAXESS.

Administrative Offices in Heidelberg

City of Heidelberg
Bürgeramt – Ausländerabteilung (Aliens' Office)
Bergheimer Straße 147, Landfried-building, entrance B, 69115 Heidelberg
Tel: +49-(0) 6221-5817529, Fax: +49-(0) 6221-58 17380

Please arrange for an individual appointment!


If you live in one of the following municipalities, the Aliens’ Office of the Landratsamt of the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis is responsible for you: Bammental, Brühl, Dossenheim, Eberbach, Edingen-Neckarhausen, Epfenbach, Eppelheim, Eschelbronn, Gaiberg, Heddesbach, Heddesheim,  Heiligkreuzsteinach, Helmstadt-Bargen, Hemsbach, Hirschberg, Ilvesheim, Ketsch, Ladenburg,  Laudenbach, Lobbach, Malsch, Mauer, Meckesheim, Mühlhausen, Neckarbischofsheim, Neckargemünd, Neidenstein, Nußloch, Oftersheim, Plankstadt, Rauenberg, Reichartshausen, Sandhausen, Schönau, Schönbrunn, Schriesheim, Spechbach, St. Leon-Rot, Waibstadt, Walldorf, Wiesenbach, Wilhelmsfeld.

Landratsamt Rhein-Neckar-Kreis
Ausländeramt (Aliens' Office)
Kurfürstenanlage 38-40, 69115 Heidelberg
Tel +49-(0)6221-5221478, Fax +49-(0)6221-5221209

Opening Hours: Tuesday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00p.m., Wednesday from 2:00 to 4:45 p.m. Appointments outside of these hours can be made by telephone.

This page as PDF



Responsible: Welcome Centre Team
Latest Revision: 2016-08-22
zum Seitenanfang/up