Finding Accommodations

University Guest Houses
Private Accommodations Market
To rent furnishing
Registering your Residence

Blick in die Gasse








Heidelberg is a very attractive place to live, which means that there is a large demand for apartments and furnished rooms, especially at the beginning of each semester in March/April and September/October. Therefore, we recommend that you begin to look for accommodations ahead of time and if possible several months before coming to Heidelberg. Unfortunately, rents in Heidelberg are relatively high in comparison to other German cities.

University Guest Houses

Heidelberg University has four guest houses for visiting scholars and their families. There are apartments of various sizes (1-4 rooms) as well as handicapped-accessible apartments. All of the apartments are fully furnished. The guest houses are located on the campus in the direct vicinity of the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), several University hospitals and the Max-Planck Institutes for Medical Research and International Law. The institutes in the city center can be reached easily using public transportation. Further information about the guest houses (size, facilities, prices and pictures) is available here.
If you are interested in renting an apartment in one of the guest houses, please contact your host institute. The institute will forward your request to the guest house administration and, if possible, arrange to reserve an apartment for you. Because there is a large demand for the guest house apartments, please send your request as early as possible to your host institute.

Private Accommodations Market

Because finding a room or apartment in Heidelberg can take a long time, we recommend that you begin your search as early as possible and make use of many different sources of information and accommodations. Apartment advertisements often use a lot of abbreviations to provide the necessary information. A list of the most common abbreviations is available here.

Services offered by Heidelberg University:

Private guesthouses in Heidelberg and surroundings:

Newspapers and Apartment Exchanges: 

Your own classified advertisement: You can also place a classified advertisement in one of the newspapers or on one of the internet sites listed above in order to search for an apartment.

Real estate agent: The surest but also most expensive route to finding accommodations is to use the services of a real estate agent. Generally you will need to pay an additional charge of 2-3 months rent as a commission (Courtage/Provision) if you rent an apartment through an agent. You can find real estate offices in the Yellow Pages.

Colleagues: Sometimes your host at the University can help you to find an apartment because news of apartments becoming available is passed on by word-of-mouth.

Notice boards: There are large notice boards where people advertise apartments and rooms for rent located in the University cafeterias, in the institutes and in copy shops.

There is more information about living in Heidelberg as well as addresses for looking for apartments in our Download Centre. If needed, we will also be happy to help you with your search.

To rent furnishing

It is also possible to rent furnishing or single furniture for your apartment in Heidelberg on a monthly basis:

Registering your residence

Everyone who takes up residence in Germany must register at the local administrative office (Bürgeramt), regardless of the length of their stay. You must register yourself and all of your family members within 14 days of moving into your new accommodations. You can register at any of the 10 local administration offices (Bürgeramt) located in the various parts of the city. Registration is free of charge. You can locate the Bürgeramt (address, opening hours and contact information) closest to your new apartment here.

In order to register at a Bürgeramt you need:

  • The registration form (the form – Anmeldeformular -  is available at the Bürgeramt, in the Welcome Centre or as a download: Wohnsitzanmeldung)
  • Proof of identity for all family members to be registered (passport or personal identification card)
  • Confirmation of residence from your landlord (new since November 2015!)

When you register, you will receive a certificate of registration (Meldebescheinigung) that you will also need show at other offices, such as for receiving your residence permit and opening a bank account.

If you move to a different address within Heidelberg or to a different city, you must re-register at the new address. When you leave Germany you must de-register.

Responsible: Welcome Centre Team
Latest Revision: 2016-07-13
zum Seitenanfang/up