Room and Board
If participants need accommodation for the duration of the International Summer School, there are two options:
There is a large number of websites where you can find all kinds of accommodation (see below).
- Arrival and departure dates can be agreed upon individually with the respective lessor.
- You can request detailed information, photos etc. beforehand.
- You will know your address before your arrival.
- Lessors may ask for a deposit and/or advance payment.
- The Summer School staff will not be able to assist you in case there is any kind of trouble with your accommodation.
- Offers will often be published online on very short notice (one or two months before the starting date). That means you may have to be patient.
Please download the accommodation reservation form (available from January 15, 2021).
- Once you return the completed accommodation reservation form, we guarantee that accommodation will be provided for you.
- The rent is to be paid upon arrival only (scholarship holders will only have to pay their rent after receiving their scholarship). Payment is in cash. There will not be any additional costs like deposit, bank fee, handling fee or other.
- Our staff will take you to your accommodation when you arrive in Heidelberg.
These are the non-negotiable conditions:
- Accommodation will only be provided from Tuesday, 27 July, to Thursday, 26 August.
- The address and detailed information can and will only be provided upon your arrival in Heidelberg.
- If you reserve a room and do not cancel the reservation before 10th July, the entire rent will be due for payment.
Finding accommodation in Heidelberg
The following districts are part of the city of Heidelberg:
Altstadt, Bahnstadt, Bergheim, Boxberg, Emmertsgrund, Handschuhsheim, Kirchheim, Neuenheim, Pfaffengrund, Rohrbach, Schlierbach, Südstadt, Weststadt, Wieblingen, Ziegelhausen.
The following locations are not Heidelberg districts, but also close to Heidelberg city and well-connected with public transport:
Dossenheim, Eppelheim, Leimen, Leimen-St. Ilgen, Neckargemünd.
We strongly recommend a personal liability insurance: you as the tenant will be (financially) responsible for all damage that occurs to your accommodation, including losing the keys.
Accommodation Service offered by Universität Heidelberg’s International Relations Office:
The International Relations Office offers an online portal with sub-let rooms offered by Heidelberg students.
Accommodation for rent/sublet accommodation:
Studierendenwerk Heidelberg offers a list with a great choice of commercial websites for the private housing market (“Private housing market” -> “Online housing platforms”).
Holiday apartments, guest houses, hotels etc.:
City of Heidelberg’s website for international visitors (also available in Chinese)
On the city of Heidelberg’s website, you can find a search engine for holiday apartments, hotel rooms etc.
Further offers can be found easily by searching online.
Accommodation arranged by the International Summer School
Arranging accommodation is only possible for participants of the Summer School.
Please find the corresponding form Accommodation“ from January 15. If you wish to have accommodation reserved, download the form, complete and sign it and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The reservation of a room is then guaranteed.
Please note: The International Summer School is not the landlord or lessor. The rooms are provided by students of Heidelberg University and citizens of the city of Heidelberg. Therefore, we cannot tell you beforehand which kinds of rooms there will be available, where they are exactly and how much the rent will be. All queries in this regard will not be answered. However, we assure you that we handle all special accommodation requests and needs with utmost consideration. General information:
- The rooms are basic student single rooms, meals not being provided. It is usually possible to use available kitchen facilities. Either bath or shower is provided. Internet access is not possible in all rooms, but in most university buildings and internet cafés.
- Keeping your accommodation clean will be your responsibility during your stay; there is no cleaning service like in a hotel. Any costs that arise due to damages, dirt in the accommodation or loss of keys will be charged to you. We therefore strongly recommend taking out a personal liability insurance prior to coming to Germany.
- There are rooms in student residences and rooms in private student flats/houses or in private homes. Facilities and furnishing will be simple, but functional and include a bed, desk and chair, dining place, space for storing/hanging clothes etc.
- All rooms are situated in Heidelberg in the following districts: Altstadt, Bahnstadt, Bergheim, Handschuhsheim, Kirchheim, Neuenheim, Pfaffengrund, Rohrbach, Schlierbach, Südstadt, Weststadt, Wieblingen, Ziegelhausen. There are always good bus/tram connections well into the night. Your classroom will be no more than a 35 minute ride by bike or public transport from your accommodation.
- The rent for a single room is € 360 on average.
- The rent is for one month: Tuesday, July 27, to Thursday, August 26 (day of departure; student residences must be cleared by 10 a.m.). Early arrivals or late departures are not possible.
- The total rent is to be paid in cash upon arrival
- The International Summer School is not the landlord or lessor, but only in charge of the intermediation. We do not have any influence on rent, furnishing, location etc.
- It is not possible to arrange rooms in a family home or with a host family.
- Please bring your own sheets and towels (find more information on what to pack on the “Packing Checklist”).
- If you have any special accommodation requests, please note this on the form (e.g. separate flat, private bathroom, sharing a flat or room with certain persons also participating in the course, etc.).
- If you prefer a high standard accommodation (separate 1- or 2-room flat) and are willing to pay between 500 € and 950 € rent, please let us know accordingly on the form “Accommodation”. We will do our best to find a suitable place.
- Only on arrival in Heidelberg, the participants will be given the address of their rooms. This is due to organizational reasons, and exceptions to the rule will not be possible. Any requests to this end cannot and will not be answered. If it is important to you to know details about your accommodation beforehand, kindly find your own accommodation online.